The first meal I prepared was surprisingly simple, yet delicious and budget friendly. Coming in with a total of 6 PointsPlus value points, we are featuring the One-Pan Pork Chops with Fennel, Onion, and Apple. You can't beat the ease of this one-pan recipe which garnered a 4 out of 5 star review. The website even suggests trying it with pears and chicken another time.
When picking up the ingredients for this recipe, I wasn't able to find fennel bulbs which this recipe called for. Instead, I went with an unexpected craving and swapped out the fennel for brussel sprouts without having to change anything else for the recipe.
The brussel sprouts looked so appealing at the farmers market, and later I read brussel sprouts flourish in cooler weather which definitely gave these cabbage like greens their appeal factor. Sprouts are high in protein and fiber, they help lower cholesterol, and in recent research, sprouts were found to contain glucosinolates which are phytonutrients that are chemical starting points for a variety of cancer-protective substances.
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 30 min
Difficulty level: Easy
Ingredients according to Weight Watchers:
- 1 large uncooked red onion, cut into wedges
- 1 medium fresh apple, cored and cut into thick slices
- 1 medium uncooked fennel bulb, cut into 1/2" thick slices
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic herb seasoning, or steak seasoning
- 1 lb uncooked lean boneless pork chop(s)
- 1/8 tsp table salt and black pepper, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine onion, apple, fennel (or brussel sprouts), oil and seasoning; toss to coat and spread out on a large nonstick baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, season pork to taste with salt and pepper.
- After vegetable mixture has cooked for 15 minutes, remove pan from oven and toss.
- Move vegetable mixture to sides of pan and add pork to middle of pan.
- Bake until pork is cooked through and vegetables are very tender, about 15 minutes.
- Yields 1 pork chop and about 3/4 cup vegetable mixture per serving.