Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The method to my madness

The whole idea behind the spaghetti and meatballs, was my craving for a meatball sub! The leftover turkey meatballs from the WW Super Easy P'sghetti and Meatballs recipe had time for the flavor to set in over night, and the meatballs were even more scrumptious the next day for my sub at lunch. 


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Meanwhile, cut the hoagie (I decided to use wheat bread) down the center and stuff with the turkey meatballs and sauce. Sprinkle part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese over the top, and bake for about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bread is golden brown. 

The guys at Firehouse Subs really inspired me to try this recipe after hearing several commercials over the radio about them ranting over their meatball sub. Instead of caving in and going completely off track, I made a healthier choice by turning to Weight Watchers to create my own meatballs for this sub. I saved myself from a higher amount of calorie, sodium, and saturated fats intake. 

Many corporate restaurants are now including nutritional information about what their serving on their websites. If you know ahead where you're going to eat out, and don't want to wreck all your hard work on one meal out, you can try making healthier decisions by looking up this information beforehand. Doing this will keep you from having to browse the menu and fall into the temptation of ordering something not as good for you. Follow this link to see Firehouse Subs nutritional information chart.





4 comments:

  1. I really like the idea of using left overs to make a new meal the next day. It works because eating the same thing two nights in a row is something I remember resenting when I lived with my mom, I wish she would have had ideas like this to switch it up a bit. I think looking at a restaurants menu before going is not only good for healthy choices, but regular choices as well. Knowing what you want before you get there, makes it possible to order as soon as you sit down. Less wait time, that's what I like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm right there with you- I'm not big on waiting around in restaurants. I like to get in and out. I work in the hospitality industry, and I never like when tables hang around longer than they should, unless they tip accordingly ;) It's always been hard for me to eat the same thing two days in a row, I like change. I get that change, by taking what I have already created and give it a little makeover. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. I know exactly how you feel when you see those firehouse subs, they are so good! But because of the holiday season approaching i am TRYING MY HARDEST not to give in from my diet. The turkey meatballs, such a good alternative and they taste great! Also, I agree with PAWSWAP, knowing what you are going to get before you get there...really helps the cravings go away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The idea of using leftovers to make new dishes is a really good idea. It keeps things spicy and varies your selection. I only wish I had your food intuition to know what would go good with what. I feel like whenever I look in the fridge I only see shades of gray.

    ReplyDelete