Tuesday, December 11, 2012

WW Slow Cooker Chili... and something for leftovers

Just as the weather began cooling down, my cravings for all of the comfort foods that go along with the fall and winter seasons were right on cue. Fortunately with the subscription to Weight Watchers, I can satisfy these cravings without having to forfeit a high number of points.

This recipe comes from my Weight Watchers mobile app, and is listed under the Featured Recipes tab. With this awesome tool, I have come across several tasty meals that I will be filing into our personal cookbook. This Slow Cooker Three-Bean Chili is a vegetarian dish that is a cinch to prepare. Leftovers are innumerable with this meal, and chili always tastes better on the second day!


Although this can most certainly be a vegetarian dish, in our household we're meat lovers, so we tried it with lean ground sirloin. This recipe has a value of 6 points, serves 10 with a prep time of 15 minutes, and cooking time of 180 minutes.

Ingredients:
  • 1 large uncooked onion, minced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can diced tomatoes, with chilies (optional)
  • 1 can tomato sauce
  • 1 1/4 oz spiced seasoning mix, chili variety
  • 14 oz frozen corn kernels
  • 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
  • 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, minced
Instructions:
  • Combine onion, garlic, beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and seasoning mix in a slow cooker.
  • Cover and cook on high heat for 2-3 hours (or low heat for 4-6 hours).
  • Add frozen corn during the last hour of cooking
  • Stir in lime juice and add cilantro just before serving.
  • Top with fat-free sour cream and shredded cheese, optional.



For lunch the next day, I was able to reuse the leftovers to make a delicious burrito. I stuffed my burritos with lettuce, salsa, sour cream, and cheese. You could also use the leftovers for tacos, too. I've never been a fan of eating leftovers the next day, but after finding my creative side I'm digging the leftovers!





No comments:

Post a Comment