Thursday, November 29, 2012

Egg Cupcakes!!

Now that I have your attention, do I have a treat for you! After doing a little research for quick and easy, on-the-go breakfast inspiration for a variety of palettes- I came across the most ingenious idea ever that could most definitely be a crowd pleaser, Egg Cupcakes!

The weekend before Thanksgiving my soon to be brother-in-laws and their wives take a trip to Miami-Homestead for the Nascar Championship every year for the past 13 years. Never really being a fan of Nascar, I'm actually happy to say I have made it to the last three race weekends and look forward every year to return.

To keep costs down everyone brings some food items that can easily be reheated, or we'll do hamburgers and brats on the grill. The last couple years we've volunteered to cover breakfast. Last year after making a breakfast egg casserole, I had to learn the hard way the majority of my male soon to be in-laws have very sensitive stomachs. When you're staying with them in close quarters, you don't really want to make the same mistake twice. 

With that being said, this year we took our breakfast casserole idea and basically made individual egg casseroles, or what I would like to call- Egg Cupcakes! The cupcakes were a huge hit since they are prepared in muffin pans we were able to make them to each persons liking with a variety of mix-ins. I could see this working well with kids who have selective tastes, too. 


The cupcakes were quick and easy to make. We decided to prepare and bake them at home, then storing two to a ziploc baggy. They held up nicely in the cooler on the four hour drive to Miami. Then when we were ready for them in the morning, we just popped them into the microwave for about 2 minutes.

What you'll need:
  • Silicone muffin pan or metal muffin tin (12-15 muffins)
  • Muffin liners
  • 12-15 eggs
  • Milk as desired
  • 1-2 tsp salt and pepper
  • 1-2 cups grated low-fat cheese (I use sharp cheddar or cheddar jack)
  • 3 green onions, diced small
  • Blanched broccoli, mushrooms, spinach- optional
  • Diced meat- optional (I used cooked crumbled turkey sausage)
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  • In muffin cups layer 2/3 full the optional ingredients: Blanched vegetables, diced meat, cheese, green onions.
  • In large bowl, whisk eggs, salt, pepper, milk, and pour into cups 3/4 full.
  • Bake 25-35 minutes.
  • Microwave on high for 2 minutes to reheat.








7 comments:

  1. This is really neat and looks super delicious. I'm gonna have to try this one and show it to my mom. She absolutely loves anything egg. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Egg Cupcakes were super fun to make, and were really delicious! Hope you and your mom enjoy! Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  2. I love egg casseroles and I think this is an ingenious idea to have single servings and encourage creativity. Good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of egg cassrole or egg cupcakes for that fact. This is really creative and I am totally willing to try this. Thank you for the new creative way to make eggs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, if you love eggs you'll love both the egg casserole and the cupcakes! You can get as creative as you wish. Enjoy!

      Delete
  4. I love eggs anyway you can do them except fried hard. I can say I have never heard of egg cupcakes, brilliant idea. Next time I plan a trip to my families lakehouse, I will tell them that I'm taking over for breakfast one day. They will find this idea amazing as I did. Seems easy enough and I like how you can personalize each one, very cool, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Senka! I followed the instructions and uploaded my blog. Thank you for the suggestion. Hopefully it will help me to get more traffic for my blog :)

    ReplyDelete